[Eril-l] FW: [EXTERNAL] request for examples of libraries almost entirely non-firm ordering, print and e

Marcia Thomas mthomas at iwu.edu
Wed May 10 13:17:34 PDT 2017

At Illinois Wesleyan University, our practices and philosophy very much
mirror those of Tufts Library.  We have had a robust liaison program for
many years, so library faculty are intimately connected with our faculty
and students (teaching, reference, departmental search committees, research
consultations with students, service on major campus committees, etc etc)
.  Library faculty do some selection on their own (less and less of this),
but most is done in collaboration with teaching faculty and with knowledge
of the curriculum.  We are very flexible in fund allocations and in format
preference, depending on discipline and use.  For example, in addition to
continuing with firm orders purchases for print and e-books, CDs, DVDs,
etc., we have redirected funds to Kanopy PDA, JSTOR DDA, ACLS Humanities
ebooks, Get It Now, and Knowledge Unlatched (to support open access
efforts).  We have not opted for large ebook packages/programs.

And yes, we are a small private institution.  However, we are definitely
NOT among the wealthy; our collections budget was reduced and has now been
flat for several years, nor do we have any endowed library funds.  Which
means we are very intentional about where we put our money.  We take full
advantage of usage reports but that is just one factor among many in our
assessments.  So wealth is not at all a factor in our collection
philosophy.  However, we are small (1800), we do not have a graduate
program, nor do we have an online program.

Marcia Thomas
Collections Librarian
Ames Library
Illinois Wesleyan University