[Eril-l] FW: [EXTERNAL] request for examples of libraries almost entirely non-firm ordering, print and e

Jill Emery jill.emery at gmail.com
Wed May 10 11:59:00 PDT 2017

Hi All,

We've done a hybrid approach and limited subject funds to nominal amounts
that the selectors have to purchase with and have larger general accounts
for direct faculty/student requests and initiatives. This is how we've
managed to carve out funding for streaming media and more media requests in
general. Our DDA is through our consortia (Orbis-Cascade Alliance) but more
and more both the consortia and ourselves are more interested in evidence
based purchasing models. Subject liaisons were not spending out their
amounts annually and even in this model do not fully expend the $4K per
subject area and $2K per studies area they are given with one exception. We
converted our print UP approval plan to purchasing Project Muse UP
collections with no complaint from faculty and have seen a tremendous usage
of this specific collection strategy across the campus.

We still end up with around $20K unspent at the end of the fiscal year for
purchasing year-end resources.

Portland state is a medium to large sized (20K FTE) public university with
a very interdisciplinary focus and a hybrid (online/in-person) community
based learning pedagogy.

-Jill