[Eril-l] FW: [EXTERNAL] request for examples of libraries almost entirely non-firm ordering, print and e

Diane Westerfield Diane.Westerfield at ColoradoCollege.edu
Mon May 15 13:50:43 PDT 2017

I think this all depends on what type of school you’re at. I’m at a residential liberal arts college, ~2000 students. Just about everybody here now prefers the convenience of electronic journals and databases, but conversely almost everyone prefers print when it comes to books.
Most of our students generally don’t want to read long pieces of content online if they can help it; they print out articles and assigned readings. So I don’t think they get that excited over ebooks unless they can print out the necessary chapters -- this is not always possible with e-books. Most would rather read an actual book than have to read many pages on a screen.

Just looked at our Circulation stats –we had 14,630 checkouts for Jan-May 2017. Checkout applies to books, DVDs, laptops, iPads, and other items loaned from the Circulation Desk. I think that’s a pretty good number considering our current circumstances (we’re in the middle of a major renovation.)

--

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Tutt Library, Colorado College