[Eril-l] FW: [EXTERNAL] request for examples of libraries almost entirely non-firm ordering, print and e

Amy Lynn Fry afry at bgsu.edu
Mon May 15 12:05:37 PDT 2017

Our overall circulation is falling, like every other library’s (that I know of). That doesn’t mean that the books we buy now aren’t useful – I know they are, because they are being checked out. That’s why I looked at the use of recently-purchased print collections and the use of ebooks acquired during the same time period. If I am buying a bunch of books that aren’t getting used, then, yes, I don’t want to buy them – not on firm order, not on approval. That isn’t what’s happening at our institution. Here, most of our print books were used, and most of our ebooks weren’t, so that gave us a clear indication of where our money was best spent. If the books we bought thirty years ago don’t circulate, we can weed according to our statewide plan and put other titles in storage – it doesn’t save us any money now. So overall circ stats are less relevant for my current book buying than the circ stats of recently purchased books.

I wrote about all of this in College & Research Libraries: http://crl.acrl.org/index.php/crl/article/view/16613

Like I said, I plan to pull this data and look at it again. I know our ebook uses go up every year, but haven’t looked to see if more titles have been used. It is possible that usage patterns for print and e are changing.

Amy Fry
Electronic Resources Coordinator
Jerome Library
Bowling Green State University