[Eril-l] request for examples of libraries almost entirely non-firm ordering, print and e

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Wed May 10 07:28:18 PDT 2017

Hi, I'm on the verge of making a radical proposal to my colleagues that we
almost entirely abandon traditional "just in case" firm book ordering and
devote almost all of the paltry remains of our monograph budget to various
forms of EBA and DDA, with firm ordering reserved only for materials
required for specific courses.

We do not distinguish print versus electronic in our monograph budget, and
we have set up a so-far little-used internal workflow to create catalog
records for on-demand ordering of print books as well as ebooks that are
not otherwise DDA/EBA'able, but I anticipate such a move will result in a
near death-knell to our print book collecting. Hence my justification for
posting this in the "electronic resources" listserv.

I am looking for examples of other academic libraries that have made a move
similar to this, either in published articles or private communication to
me about what you're doing and how it's working out.

Thanks for any help or pointers any of you can provide!

--
Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian