[Eril-l] Competitive bidding / sole source for database purchases

Smith, Kelly Kelly.Smith2 at eku.edu
Wed May 3 10:18:23 PDT 2017

Good afternoon folks,

Our campus purchasing department is putting in place tighter controls on institutional purchases, and it looks like every vendor with which we spend more than $3,500 will have to be declared sole source or go through a competitive bidding process. So, my questions to the list are broad.

1. If you've gone through a switchover from generous purchasing guidelines to tight ones, how did you manage the transition? Any tips? Pitfalls?

2. If you've been doing this for a long time, how do you make this process work on an annual basis? It's already complicated enough without this little wrinkle, I'm having a hard time imagining how to accomplish this additional layer.

3. As resources are bought and sold between vendors is the process kicked off again?

4. Would you be willing to share RFP language with me?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

~Kelly

Kelly Smith
Coordinator of Collections and Discovery
Eastern Kentucky University Libraries
kelly.smith2 at eku.edu<mailto:kelly.smith2 at eku.edu> | Research Guides<http://libguides.eku.edu/prf.php?account_id=300>