[Eril-l] Chem dept survey if you are willing

Susan Wiegand swiegand at saintmarys.edu
Fri Jul 21 08:10:50 PDT 2017

Hi, I'm sending along a link to a survey on SciFinder/Access to Chemical
Literature developed by the Chair of our Chem Dept--he's already sent it to
chemistry colleagues, and I thought it would be useful to also gather data
from librarians. He was agreeable, so I'm cross-posting the link to the
survey on various lists. Here is his original explanatory email text when
he first sent the survey:
"I am currently in discussion with the library about our access to the
literature.  Right now we have a subscription to SciFinder Scholar as our
entry point, and then we use inter-library loan or pay per article services
to get full text.  Some of my colleagues (Chemists) find SciFinder to be
less than useful and access the literature through other non-College
methods that are not available to all faculty and students.  The cost of
the SciFinder subscription has also increased significantly over the last
10 years and the Library is asking if we should keep the subscription.  I
am interested in what other schools are doing to deal with this issue, in
particular, smaller schools who wish to maintain their ACS approval.
I have put together a BRIEF survey in Google forms that can be accessed
through:
https://goo.gl/forms/awuzCRK0MQe4RrOJ2
"I would appreciate your responses and I will send a summary back to the
group when I get results."

The current (2015) ACS guidelines are at:
<https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/about/governance/committees/training/2015-acs-guidelines-for-bachelors-degree-programs.pdf>
https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/about/governance/comm
ittees/training/2015-acs-guidelines-for-bachelors-degree-programs.pdf
and include, on p. 8:
4.4 Chemical Information Resources
[image: Inline image 1]
Thanks a bunch for considering this brief 6 question survey!
Sue

Sue Wiegand
Periodicals Librarian
123 Cushwa-Leighton Library