[Eril-l] ALTCS, CRS Committee on Holdings Information Forum: Using OCLC's Collection Manager @ ALA Midwinter 2017

Tim Hagan t-hagan at northwestern.edu
Tue Jan 10 12:23:19 PST 2017

*** Please excuse cross posting ***

The CRS Holdings Committee is pleased to have two presentations on how libraries are using OCLC's Collection Manager at their libraries.

Erin Elzi's presentation is "It's good in theory, but..." University of Denver's experience with WorldShare Management Collection Manager.

In the effort to streamline their e-resource management, DU looked to Collection Manager. As they switched over more and more packages, they began to question this decision. Their recent migration from Serials Solutions to Alma for e-resource management has caused additional problems that Collection Manager has not made any easier. In addition to discussing their experience with using Collection Manager records with two different ILS/LMS systems, for both subscription packages (eBooks and journals) and YBP approval plan records, DU will share their analysis of the "updated" and "delete" files they receive each month from WorldShare.

Erin is the Cataloging and Metadata Librarian at the University of Denver. She spends her days trying to make the ILS and discovery layers a better place for everyone.

Christie Thomas and Kristin Martin will present OCLC Collection Manager for Electronic Resource Record Delivery and Holdings Updates: The Chicago Experience

The University of Chicago has been using OCLC's Collection Manager as a records source and to set holdings for electronic resources since Spring of 2015. Currently, our holdings in the Knowledge Base are set through a combination of SFX feeds, direct publisher feeds, and manual manipulation. New records for e-books from Springer, ebrary, and EBSCO, as well as Naxos streaming media, are received weekly. Additionally, we have set up custom queries for record sets from other providers, including the National Academies Press, and RAND, among others. For the Collection Manager record files, we developed a process to review the incoming files against our existing database, identify anomalies, and report back to OCLC. Our presentation will review the different mechanisms for activating titles and collections, options for setting holdings and receiving records, specific challenges we have experienced, and our work with OCLC to improve the system.

Christie is the Head of Data Management Services at the University of Chicago Library, which is responsible for database management and the batch-loading of vendor-supplied MARC records. Christie's previous experience includes digital library management at the University of Chicago and Integrated Library System management at the Chicago Public Schools.

Kristin is the Electronic Resource Management Librarian at the University of Chicago and heads the Electronic Resources Management Department, which is responsible for acquisitions workflows and processes for e-resources, from selection to access. She has previous experience managing and cataloging electronic resources at the University of Illinois at Chicago and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  Kristin is also involved with the open source library project FOLIO and an active member of ALCTS. Currently, she is serving as member-at-large for CaMMS.

Please join us Saturday, January 21st, from 3:00pm - 4:00pm at Georgia World Congress Center, B207.

On behalf of the ALCTS CRS Committee on Holdings Information,

-
Tim Hagan
Electronic Resources Librarian
Northwestern University Libraries