[Eril-l] Kerberos and Google Scholar sign-in problems?

Emily Peiffer epeiffer at umich.edu
Thu Dec 14 10:48:19 PST 2017

Hi everyone,
Are any of you who are a.)  using Google Suite at your institution, and b.)
using Kerberos authentication for library patrons, having trouble logging
into Google Scholar? Regardless, what happens when you try to log into
Google Scholar? Have you installed the latest Kerberos patch?

We are hoping to pool together some additional information so that we can
take this issue to Google.

Here's a summary of what we are seeing on our end:

If already logged in to a Google-based account:
1. We go to https://scholar.google.com/
2. We hit "sign in" and are redirected to https://scholar.google.com/?pli=1
which, at least on an interface level, appears to be the exact same page as
the first URL.
3. If we click "my profile" we get a "too many redirects" error. The
sign-in link under "my library" also fails.

If not already logged in to a Google-based account:
1. We go to  https://scholar.google.com/
2. We click "sign in" and are redirected to Google's log-in page. When we
click next, we are (accurately) redirected to the Kerberos authentication
page.
3. After authenticating with Kerberos, we are redirected to the Google
Scholar home page. However, Google Scholar does not appear to detect us as
having signed in at all.

Many thanks!

Best wishes,

Emily Peiffer