[Eril-l] QxMD Reader

Christy, Matthew J. christy at tamhsc.edu
Wed Dec 13 09:18:43 PST 2017

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or similar 'reader' products (ReadCube, Docphin). Read by QxMD is basically the latest in a string of for profit companies that expropriate our library's name in their product, without permission, and then create more work for us when patrons report that they're having a problem with the product. It's extremely annoying.
But now QxMD is offering to give us access to a librarian page so that we can add proxy info. That would solve a lot of the problems, however, I'm still reluctant to do so.  Without a contract I can't be sure that in a year or two they won't start charging us for this privilege. And I'm not even convinced that this is a legitimate product/company.

Does anyone have any experience with QxMD that would cause them to recommend or warn us about this company/product?

Thanks,
Matthew Christy
Associate Director for Technology and eResources
Baylor Health Sciences Library
christy at tamhsc.edu<mailto:christy at tamhsc.edu>
214-828-8930 or 214-820-7377
[signatureimagesartophorizontal-new]