[Eril-l] Free Webinar: Misinformation

Beth Bernhardt brbernha at uncg.edu
Fri Dec 1 06:42:32 PST 2017

The Charleston Conference is hosting a free webinar on December 13 at 2:00
pm Eastern, presented by Samantha J. Kaplan, Doctoral Student at UNC Chapel
Hill, School of Information & Library Science.

Register at https://www.anymeeting.com/AccountManager/RegEv.aspx?
PIID=ED53DD85884631

it is, when it occurs, and how what is misinformation in one context may be
good information in another. I will present the status of information as
context-dependent, leading to the importance of considering context with
sensitivity, empathy, and a critical eye. This session is distinct because
it attempts to stretch misinformation from a black and white concept to a
larger spectrum. We will briefly examine evidence of the ways information
systems exacerbate issues of misinformation.

After considering evidence and examples of misinformation, the session will
shift toward discussing fundamental questions information and library
science must consider when taking action in regard to misinformation, such
as the tension between providing the highest level of service and providing
accurate and unbiased information. We will also consider Ranganathan’s law,
“every book its source” in connection to misinformation.

This session is needed as our society grapples with the implications of
misinformation at every level and every institution. While everyday we are
confronted with examples of misinformation and attempts to fix it, we do
not hear nearly enough about what it is. I would attend this because I
think the information and ideas presented will grant the necessary
understanding to begin handling complex issues of misinformation with the
humanity they warrant.

About the Presenter: Samantha J. Kaplan is a doctoral student in the School
of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina,
Chapel Hill. She completed a Master’s degree in Library and Information
Science at the University of South Carolina. She studies misinformation at
the intersection of health and everyday life contexts.

Space is limited; register now at  https://www.anymeeting.
com/AccountManager/RegEv.aspx?PIID=ED53DD85884631.

This webinar will be recorded and made available on the conference website
at a later time.

Beth R. Bernhardt
Assistant Dean for Collection Management and Scholarly Communications
University Libraries
University of North Carolina Greensboro
PO Box 26170
Greensboro, NC 27402
336-256-1210
[image: FullName UNCG Logo combined with 125th mark]