[Eril-l] ALCTS webinar: Preservation Week: Caring for Your Textiles

ALCTS-CE Announce alcts.ce.announce at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 12:33:32 PDT 2017

*Apologies in advance for multiple postings.*

ALCTS webinar: Preservation Week: Caring for Your Textiles

Free! With thanks to our generous Preservation Week 2017 Sponsors and
Partners:

The MediaPreserve <http://themediapreserve.com/>, Archival Products
<http://www.archival.com/>, Backstage Library Works <http://www.bslw.com/>,
and Hollinger Metal Edge <http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/>

Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2017

All webinars are one hour in length and begin at 11am Pacific, noon
Mountain, 1pm Central, and 2pm Eastern time.

Whether it’s grandma’s wedding dress, a box of military uniforms, or a
heirloom quilt, many of us have textiles in our homes that we care deeply
about. Preserving these materials can be a challenge due to their
materials, size, or condition. This webinar will offer an introduction to
different physical characteristics and fibers and hazards faced by these
items. A discussion of cleaning and storage techniques that are appropriate
for home care will equip you to make good decisions so that your treasured
textiles last.

Participants in this webinar will come away with:

Basic knowledge of the physical characteristics of various textiles.

An understanding of the challenges to preserving their textiles.

Practical techniques for safe cleaning and storage of valued personal items
like wedding dresses, uniforms, and quilts.

Who should attend?

This webinar is intended for individuals with personal collections of
textiles. It was developed by the Preservation Week subcommittee of the
PARS Preservation Outreach Committee to offer a programming opportunity for
public libraries to share with their patrons.

Presenter:

Donia Conn is a book and paper conservator as well as an independent
preservation and collection care consultant with over 20 years of
experience, including 10 years of experience in instruction. She is also
adjunct faculty for the Simmons College School of Library and Information
Science. Donia is a Professional Associate of the American Institute for
Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC). She earned her BA in
Mathematics from St. Olaf College and her MLIS with Advanced Certificate in
Conservation from the University of Texas- Austin. Previously, Donia has
worked for the Northeast Document Conservation Center, Northwestern
University, and Syracuse University.

*****************

Registration Fees: Free

Presented in conjunction with the ALCTS/PARS Preservation Outreach
Committee, with thanks to our generous Preservation Week 2017 Sponsors and
Partners:

The MediaPreserve <http://themediapreserve.com/>, Archival Products
<http://www.archival.com/>, Backstage Library Works <http://www.bslw.com/>,
and Hollinger Metal Edge <http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/>

For additional information and access to registration links, please go to
the following website:

http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/042517

ALCTS webinars are recorded and registrants receive a link to the recording
shortly following the live event.

For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration by calling
1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email registration at ala.org. For all other
questions or comments related to the webinars, contact Julie Reese, ALCTS
Events Manager at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5034 or alctsce at ala.org.

Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.