[Eril-l] Corrected: Cambridge adopted a similar platform to Taylor & Francis

Diane Westerfield Diane.Westerfield at ColoradoCollege.edu
Tue Sep 20 08:21:13 PDT 2016

I was unreasonably grouchy yesterday and for that I apologize. I was facing a 12 hour day at work, bad case of the Mondays and all that.

What really set my teeth on edge was seeing those opening search screens. There’s a rush to do everything in Bootstrap but not customize your CSS enough. Then you end up with websites that look like everybody else’s. You can use just the grid system for better responsive design (different screen sizes) and not the whole hog. And there’s no reason to remove or hide features; clearly there’s enough real estate on the screens for links to Advanced Search and Title A-Z Browse.

I looked at the HTML code for both sites and they are obviously different; I’d wrongly assumed they bought the same product or used the same designer. But the end effect is similar. A case of convergent evolution?

Also noticed that once you do a search, you can use facets on the side, which is better than nothing. Cambridge has a lot more going on with the facets than T&F. I will admit these results screens are nicer and cleaner looking than the previous iterations.

BTW I was told by ProQuest support that T&F no longer allows articles to appear in frames, so this is why the one-click article resolution isn’t working for us with Serial Solutions 360.

--
Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Tutt Library, Colorado College
diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu<mailto:diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu>
(719) 389-6661

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Steve Oberg
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 8:11 PM
To: eril-l
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] [FORGED] Cambridge adopted the same bad platform as Taylor & Francis?

Bob,

According to an email response from Tristan Collier of CUP posted to LIBLICENSE-L, Cambridge Core was developed in-house. I don’t know exactly what that means — if it rules out use of a third party technology altogether — but that’s the response received by the same question on LIBLICENSE-L.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials