[Eril-l] Cambridge adopted the same bad platform as Taylor & Francis?

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Mon Sep 19 12:05:57 PDT 2016

First, a tangent: It’s interesting how posts like this get posted here as opposed to, e.g. SERIALST. This is _not_ a criticism, only an observation.

Second, another slightly less tangential aspect: I’ve noticed confusion on the part of our users when a journal publisher has the usual “Access is provided by…” statement. The confusion is that this implies everything on the site is available to our users. So when users try to access an article in an unsubscribed journal on a publisher site, they wonder why they can’t get to it. I understand the mechanics of the whole setup but it is indeed confusing.

Third, I’m quite happy that publishers are paying more attention to mobile access. (I’m not sure if that’s a major factor behind T&F and Cambridge’s changes per sé, but wouldn’t be surprised if so.) All signs point to mobile usage eclipsing desktop usage and publishers and content providers would be foolish to ignore that well documented trend.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials