[Eril-l] **Survey** Library Text and Data Mining (TDM) **Responses requested by Sept. 30th**

LIB Copyright copyright at library.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:53:11 PDT 2016

***Cross-posted to multiple lists; please excuse duplication***

Dear colleagues,

If you are a librarian involved in the licensing of electronic resources, and/or have any recent experience in facilitating a researcher's use of electronic resources for the purposes of Text and Data Mining (TDM), we would appreciate if you could take 15-20 minutes to fill out this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z7B6NJK.

We are conducting this survey to identify trends in Text and Data Mining (TDM) licensing and permissions issues as they intersect with the work of electronic resources librarians. There is much discussion in the literature of these issues, but little data on how librarians are encountering the issue and how they are able to respond.

This survey is derived from a 2015 survey originally created by our research team member, Hillary Miller, as part of her thesis research. Therefore, you may have filled out a similar survey last year. We'd appreciate your responses in particular, as we will compare the aggregate responses and attempt to identify trends. You have the option to disclose your institution or remain anonymous in this survey.

We are casting a wide net across academic libraries in the U.S. in the hope for a broad response. We are also targeting member libraries of the Association of Research Libraries to see if that subset of libraries responds any differently than other academic libraries. They survey will remain open until September 30th.

If you know a colleague at your institution that is more familiar with these issues, and who might be a better candidate to fill out the survey as representative of your institution and library, please forward this message to them with our thanks.

Thanks in advance for helping us better understand this pressing issue. We intend to present the findings of this survey at the Charleston Library Conference in November of 2016.

Respectfully,

UCLA Library
Angela Riggio, Head of Scholarly Communication and Licensing
Martin J. Brennan, Copyright and Licensing Librarian
Roxanne Peck, Librarian for Digital Collection Management
Jennifer Chan, Scholarly Communication Librarian

VCU Libraries
Hillary Miller, Scholarly Communications Outreach Librarian

Kendra Godwin, 2016-2017 Associate Fellow, National Library of Medicine