[Eril-l] Asking patrons to login to electronic resources both on and off campus

May.Yan may.yan at ryerson.ca
Tue Sep 13 08:56:08 PDT 2016

Our library has been approached by university IT security to start
requiring patrons to login to all of our electronic resources both on
and off campus. I'd like to learn from schools that require login to
resources on and off campus how your systems are configured?

Currently we have IP authentication setup with all of our vendors, and
patrons are only asked to login to resources when they are off campus
where their sessions are routed via our ezproxy servers after being
authenticated by our CAS system.

University IT security has proposed that we reduce our IP ranges with
vendors and make everyone go through the proxy server for all resources.
However, I'm very uncomfortable with this option because that one server
becomes a bottleneck. What happens when vendor blocks our proxy server
due to possible violations investigations? We stand to lose all access
to the resource(s) during any investigation period. What happens when
there's a hardware problem and we need to make a server swap and the IP
changes? It's a scary thought to ask all our vendors to update an IP
quickly. I'm hoping there are other (better) options out there?

I'd appreciate any help, and will consolidate responses to share with
the group.

Thank you

May

--

May Yan | may.yan at ryerson.ca | 416.979.5000.4947 | @mayyan
ER Discovery & Access Librarian | Strategic Systems Project Lead