[Eril-l] Database management question

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Thu Oct 13 14:08:36 PDT 2016

At my library we’ve approached this in the following way, finding that other solutions (including LibGuides) were insufficient in terms of providing A-Z database functionality:

- all of our databases metadata is stored in our ERM (CORAL) along with all of the other associated administrative metadata
- we use a CORAL add-on called the Public Interface Generator to output just the information we need in XML
- we created a script to routinely (every few hours) take that XML output and auto-generate a searchable and browsable A-Z list in our Drupal-powered website

I gave a presentation on this setup at last year’s NASIG conference and the slides are available at http://www.slideshare.net/NASIG/the-future-is-flexible-extensible-and-community-based-coral-as-source-for-databases-a-z. Unfortunately the presentation doesn’t include speakers notes but if you have any questions, please contact me directly.

One more thing: We use handles for each entry in our databases A-Z list.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials