[Eril-l] Peeters Journals and off-campus access

Loder, Julie L julie.loder at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu May 19 13:47:27 PDT 2016

Hi Jason and all,

I did not repost to the ER&L list as I did not get any responses, but maybe I should have. I did send this to a couple of others.  I did get a few off-list responses and I think one bit of confusion is that it isn't just that they do not allow access through the proxy, but no off-campus access at all per their terms so access through a VPN is technically a violation.   My update is below, in case anyone wants to send them a note.  I am not on the EZProxy list, so thank you for sharing.  Sven is the entire journals department and reports directly to the family.  Maybe if we can make headway on this topic, we can then work on ILL and post cancellation access terms.  If you are going to dream...:)

Since a few people have contacted me off-list, I wanted to follow-up that Sven at Peeters has finally agreed to share my concerns about not allowing access to users off-campus to the Peeters family.  They apparently make all the related journal policies and have seen this one as a financial decision, but I received little in the way of an explanation.  I am trying to convince them otherwise.  If you feel strongly about this one and would like to allow access through your proxy, now might be a good time to email them again on this matter, journals at peeters-leuven.be<mailto:journals at peeters-leuven.be>.  Thank you.

Julie

From: Jason Friedman [mailto:Jason.Friedman at uOttawa.ca]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:21 PM
To: Loder, Julie L; eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: RE: Peeters Journals and off-campus access

Hi Julie,

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Yes, we discovered Peeters off-campus access restrictions a couple years ago. There was also a discussion about the blocking on the ezproxy mailing list, which I have attached. Sven is the only person we've dealt with.

As far as I know, no subscriptions have been cancelled because of that restriction specifically.

Sincerely,

Jason

Jason Friedman
Technicien en ressources électroniques | E-resources technician
Bibliothèque | Library
erinfo at uottawa.ca<mailto:erinfo at uottawa.ca>
Tél. | Tel. : 613-562-5800 x8787
Téléc. | Fax 613-562-5196
Université d'Ottawa | University of Ottawa