[Eril-l] Question: when is a journal "Full Text"

Eric Elmore Eric.Elmore at utsa.edu
Tue Mar 8 08:13:38 PST 2016

That is unfortunately a side effect of the multiple possible interpretations and implementations of the openurl linking standards.  Every publisher reads the standards and instructions on how to implement them, then through their particular corporate lens does their best to implement them.  Some are better at it than others, some – in this case Ebsco, really don’t try very hard. Gale has actually gotten better over the last few years, and even Lexis has kinda tried.

Do we have time to try to fix all the miscues? No, not really – but we do catch as many as we can and submit support tickets to our linkresolver vendor to get them fixed.  Most of the time we submit them and they get transferred to the “metadata team” at our vendor and we never really know if they get fixed or not.  We did as much as we could by reporting on the errors, if our vendor follows through that would be a bonus.

Eric Elmore                                                             |
Electronic Resources Coordinator                     |
The University of Texas at San Antonio            |
One UTSA Circle                                                     |
San Antonio, TX.  78249-0671                             |
(O)210-458-4916/(F)210-458-4577                    |
Eric.elmore at utsa.edu<mailto:Eric.elmore at utsa.edu>                                         |