[Eril-l] Peeter's Publishing changes web license to prohibit proxy servers

Loder, Julie L julie.loder at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Jun 23 16:00:53 PDT 2016

Yes, we are also dealing with this and since they don’t know our proxy IP, are technically not blocking it.  However, there terms say no access from off-campus.  I posted something to this list a few weeks ago trying to drum up support for pressuring them to change this.  I will forward you my messages.  They seem to think they will lose money if they allow off-campus access.  I spoke to someone at KU and she also pointed out that they do not allow ILL.

Julie

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Mark Hemhauser
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 2:10 PM
To: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum; eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: [Eril-l] Peeter's Publishing changes web license to prohibit proxy servers

It has come to my attention that Peeter’s Publishing has for a few years been trying to prevent online access to subscribe content via library proxy servers. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If they don’t know the proxy server’s IP address, then they are probably not able to block it. We are trying to add a new proxy IP address and they are refusing to add it. I’ve got a license with their signature and there’s nothing in it to permit such a change of terms without negotiating a new license.

Mark

Mark Hemhauser
​Head of Acquisitions, The Library
250 Moffitt Library, MC 6000