[Eril-l] Publisher complaint -- how would you respond?

Crawford, Laurel Laurel.Crawford at unt.edu
Thu Jul 28 11:23:05 PDT 2016

This is not acceptable behavior, since it undermines the valuable relationship between faculty and the library and spreads misinformation. The vendor couldn’t possibly know what factors went into your decision-making and to imply otherwise is unprofessional. Combat this by firmly requiring the vendor to go through the library for all future campus communications—you are their client, not vice-versa.

A PR campaign may be a good idea--spread the word about how you are making these difficult decisions. Mention that the cause of budget shortfalls is partially due to extremely high annual inflation rates imposed by the vendors.

Good luck—we’ve definitely been in your shoes.

Laurel Sammonds Crawford
Coordinator of Collection Development
University of North Texas Libraries
laurel.crawford at unt.edu<mailto:laurel.crawford at unt.edu>