[Eril-l] Publisher complaint -- how would you respond?

Bhatt, Anjana abhatt at fgcu.edu
Thu Jul 28 11:38:53 PDT 2016

I am especially horrified at this statement “I'm not sure whether or not staff has even been consulted on this matter (my suspicion is that it was not). We have asked them to provide us with some reasons why they have made this decision and will inform you when they get back to us”

This publisher/rep needs to understand the library resources cancellation process and must be reminded about the cancellation or termination process clauses or hardship clauses in the license agreement. You can also provide some reasonable explanation to the publisher and request him/her/them to refrain from directly contacting the faculty. Another option for you could be to provide usage data and check for different access options.  We have been successful in moving our products from IP range based access to a single user based access during the budget reduction and save money and continue to offer access.

As far as your faculty member is concerned, you can perhaps provide usage statistics data (if you tie that to the budget reductions and cancellations) reduced funding figures and information about your cancellation process.  You can also assure them that a careful review of the products was made before making cancellation decisions.  I have always found it helpful to do an overlap analysis before cancelling any products.  This way, if need be, you can always assure them about alternate coverage.

We have a vendor who regularly offers BI sessions for one professor.  In spite of our requests that BI sessions are coordinated at the library and vendor should not provide BI sessions,  this practice has continued because the professor likes the vendor to come and talk to her class.

Sometimes, it is hard to not to get upset but if you work with the understanding that everyone wants to protect their interest and mostly works in good faith, it will be easy for you to be polite and state the facts clearly so there is no further confusion and ill will.

Also, it would be great to come together and develop some kind of standard statement to be used in the license agreement or for communication with the publishers.
My two cents.
Anjana

Thanks & Regards.
Anjana.

Anjana  H. Bhatt
University Librarian (Electronic Resources)
Florida Gulf Coast University Library<http://library.fgcu.edu/>
10501 FGCU Boulevard South
Fort Myers, FL 33965-6501
Office Location: Library West 236
Phone: 239-590-7634<tel:239-590-7634>, Fax: 239-590-7609<tel:239-590-7609>, E-mail: abhatt at fgcu.edu<mailto:abhatt at fgcu.edu>
http://library.fgcu.edu/FAC/abhatt/bhatt.htm
FGCU library provide services that support student pursuits for academic success and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation and classroom instruction.  Florida has a very broad public records    law.  As a result, any written communication created or received by Florida Gulf Coast University employees is subject to disclosure to the public and the media, upon request, unless otherwise exempt.  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
“The beauty you see in me is a reflection of you”. ~ Rumi