[Eril-l] APS IP Block solutions?

Butler, Paul prbutler at bsu.edu
Fri Dec 16 08:53:59 PST 2016

Hi Alice,

My first suggestion, if you haven't done so, is to ask ACS for their log files for the incidents that caused the blocks. That will give you some idea what ACS is seeing that is triggering the blocks. Then you can go back and cross-reference your EZproxy logs. What ACS is seeing may be legitimate user activity. Otherwise, I have seen this situation occur due to the browser plug-ins, the use of third-party citation software, and actual fraudulent activity.

You may also want to look at some of your EZproxy settings. Checkout this material (https://www.oclc.org/content/community/en_us/ezproxy/events/ezp-forensics-roundtable.html) that I helped create about EZproxy security. You maybe find you need to start lowering some thresholds.

The EZproxy listserv is an active place and maybe prove useful for you (particularly the archives, since ACS and this issue has been a topic of conversation in the past). http://www.oclc.org/support/services/ezproxy/documentation/list.en.html

Cheers, Paul
Paul R Butler, mlis
Library Technologies Support Analyst
Library Information Technology Services (L.I.T.S)
Ball State University<bsu.edu>
Muncie, IN  47306
P: 765.285.8032
E: prbutler at bsu.edu<mailto:prbutler at bsu.edu>

University Libraries...a destination for research, learning, and friends

The University Libraries provide services that support student pursuits for academic success and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation and classroom instruction.