[Eril-l] ACS IP Block solutions?

Alice Daugherty adaugher at lsu.edu
Fri Dec 16 08:20:30 PST 2016

Melissa and all,

I meant ACS. Mea Culpa.

Alice

From: Melissa Belvadi [mailto:mbelvadi at upei.ca]
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2016 10:17 AM
To: Alice Daugherty <adaugher at lsu.edu>
Cc: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] APS IP Block solutions?

Is your issue with APS (as in your subject line) or ACS (as in your first sentence)? It makes a difference because ACS, in the form of SciFinder, has an unusual dual authentication system that has caused us much confusion when they report breaches to us.  Apparently a hacker can use a SciFinder account created at one institution but through the hacked credentials of a different SciFinder institution's proxy server.

More generally, our systems librarian has found at least one instance of one of our own patrons (don't know if student or faculty) who apparently quite deliberately shared their login credentials on an open site as a political act, presumably of protest about paywalls.  We're having an internal discussion right now as to whether we should handle such a situation differently from the ones where we have no reason to suspect the breached-account user wasn't just a victim, maybe one who chose too weak a password. In the latter case, we force a password reset and let them have access again right after that.

Melissa