[Eril-l] Ebooks - Delete files from OCLC collection manager

Harper, Cynthia charper at vts.edu
Thu Dec 1 11:38:11 PST 2016

Hello - To add to the subject of verifying access and titles removed from collections, I just verified with OCLC today that when ebook titles are included in a DELETE Marc file from their downloads, that only means that they've been deleted from one of the collections. It doesn't mean that they've verified that you don't have access from any of your knowledge base sources.

So I had been deleting the whole record for items in the delete file.  It looks like what a person needs to do is use a "smart" linkchecker such as Kristina Spurgin's access verifier:
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/9684  and determine when all links in the record don't work.  IIRC (I used this last winter, but not since then), it takes a csv as input. It would be nice if we had one that could take in a MARC file and test all links.  A merge of the customizable target text-string logic in the Spurgin algorithm and MARCEdit, perhaps?

But I was disappointed to hear from OCLC that they didn't include only records that were no longer included in any of my knowledgebase collections. We shouldn't have to do this link-check process ourselves.

Cindy Harper
E-services and periodicals librarian
Virginia Theological Seminary
Bishop Payne Library