[Eril-l] How do you manage database trials at your institutions?

Erin Gallagher EGALLAGHER at Rollins.edu
Tue Aug 23 10:49:13 PDT 2016

Good afternoon, collective wisdom.
I manage e-resources in a small-ish, private liberal arts college; I'm in my third year in this position.  Here's how I'm currently handling database trials:

*        I collect suggestions for trials throughout the year from librarians, faculty, and other users.

*        I set up and manage these trials twice a year: once in March and once in October.

During my first year or so, I encountered issues with managing upwards of 10 database trials at a time, as "managing" includes a lot of up-front information gathering before we decide on new subscriptions.  Last year, to streamline the process, I enacted a "five at a time" rule, and I've stuck with it through our last couple of trial rounds.  Based on the volume of trial requests I'm getting for this semester, I'm concerned that limiting to five is too restrictive.
I would love to hear how you're managing database trials at your institutions.  Do you stick to specific months/times of the year?  Or do you manage trials as requests arise?  Do you allow faculty/staff to manage their own trials?  Do you place any limitations on what gets trialed?  Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Erin

Erin Gallagher
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Olin Library
Rollins College
1000 Holt Avenue
Winter Park, FL 32789