[Eril-l] Upate on ACS Journals access - it was just a local problem with server upgrade

Diane Westerfield Diane.Westerfield at ColoradoCollege.edu
Tue Aug 23 09:47:47 PDT 2016

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who checked their access. We finally figured out that this was related to the Millennium server upgrade some weeks ago that was causing other problems. (Namely our server was constantly running out of ports which interfered with proxied resource access and catalog searches; also, Illiad was misbehaving).

Innovative upgraded the server but, as I understand it, they left in some code that was supposed to improve HTTP1.1 access. The code is buggy and was being removed from these upgrades, but they forgot to do that for our server. Our pleas for help were going to the wrong person who wasn't aware of this; once the ACS issue was in play it reached the correct person at Innovative and they removed the buggy code very quickly. Solved a lot of problems in one fell swoop, and not a moment too soon with school starting next week.

Diane Westerfield, Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian
Tutt Library, Colorado College
diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu<mailto:diane.westerfield at coloradocollege.edu>
(719) 389-6661
(719) 389-6082 (fax)

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Diane Westerfield
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 1:16 PM
To: Eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: [Eril-l] American Chemical Society journals: strange problems with proxy access

Hi,

We just received a report from a professor regarding ACS journals. We use WAM proxy access on the Millennium ILS (Innovative) with a hosted server. Anyone else experience this?

When in an ACS journal with a proxied link: if you look at a list of volumes and try to click on the volume or plus symbol to expand it, the reloading symbol appears and then a few moments later the same page refreshes, rather than expanding the list of issues. If you search in a journal, you get a list of results. But if you try to click on any linked item in the results, the browser becomes unresponsive. I tested this with 3 different browsers, got the same behavior.

With a direct (unproxied) link, the journal behaves just fine.

The professor said this started happening 2 weeks ago, which very unhappily coincides with a library server upgrade that has produced strange server behavior but not any database-specific oddities. This might be purely coincidental, or not.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there is having any problems? Try Journal of the American Chemical Society, http://pubs.acs.org/loi/jacsat

I did contact ACS and they confirmed our hosted library server IP is in the account and active; nothing has changed with the IPs since we moved to the hosted server in 2013.

Thanks,