[Eril-l] Discovery and ERM in LSP Questions

Judith Nagata jnagata at coastal.edu
Mon Aug 22 05:19:23 PDT 2016

Coastal Carolina University's Kimbel Library is in the process of looking for a new Library Services Platform (or ILS + Discovery + ERM). I am new to the library and am coming into the conversation very late. We are in a significant time-crunch and I would like to get information from electronic resources librarians who have actually managed these systems.

If your library has either OCLC's Worldshare Management Service (WMS)  or Ex Libris' Alma, especially their associated Discovery or ERM, would you please respond to the following questions off-list?

Discovery Questions
How many vendors are included in the Knowledgebase?  Who or what is missing? (Please do not include vendors or publishers products that are searched by federated search.)
Are vendors well represented in the Knowledgebase? Are publishers (journals and books and reference) well represented in the Knowledgebase?
Has your library elected to not include a vendor or product which might be in the Knowledgebase? Why?
How detailed are the records in the Knowledgebase? (For example, do ebooks have metadata at a chapter level?)
How well do the records link to full text or streaming media?
How do the search algorithms work? How does relevancy ranking work? (For example, does the search default to searching full text? Can this be changed?) Are any metadata subject standards included? If so, are they at only a title level (e.g. Library of Congress subject headings) or are they at a journal article level (e.g. includes discipline specific subjects from thesauri)?
How easy/hard is it to make changes as an Administrator?
What APIs are available and what do they do?

ERM Questions
What works for acquisitions, maintenance, and cancelation of resources? (For example, works well for databases and not for bundles of databases)
Do you (have to) use EDI or another protocol? If so, how does it work?
Do you interface this system with any outside university procurement systems (e.g. SyQuest)? How hard/easy is this to do?
What exactly is included for updating access (URLs) to resources? (For example: Uses an API to interface and update URLs in Springshare's LibGuides.)
What kinds of reports does it generate and how is this useful to your library?
What kind of integration is available between modules (acquisitions, usage statistics, licensing, etc)?

Any other information about either system would be appreciated. I would also be interested if your library elected to use another Discovery and/or ERM rather than those included in the package. Please let me know why/why not.

Judith Nagata
Electronic Resources Librarian
Kimbel Library and Bryan Information Commons
Coastal Carolina University
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054

Ph: 843-349-5018