[Eril-l] ALCTS e-Forum: I’m Lost: The Future of Cataloging and Metadata Management for the Rest of Us

ALCTS-CE Announce alcts.ce.announce at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:30:13 PDT 2016

*Apologies in advance for multiple postings.*

ALCTS e-Forum: I’m Lost: The Future of Cataloging and Metadata Management
for the Rest of Us

May 3-4, 2016

Moderated by Karl Pettitt and April Grey

Please join us for an e-forum discussion. It’s free and open to everyone!

Registration information is at the end of the message.

Each day, discussion begins and ends at:

Pacific: 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Mountain: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Central: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Eastern: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Many discussions these days focus on the technical or theoretical questions
surrounding the direction that cataloging and metadata management is headed
in the world of libraries. While our colleagues at larger institutions work
on these issues, many of us are left wondering, “What should I be doing
right now to prepare for the future?” Most of us are not computer
programmers or experts in the semantic web. But do we really need to be?
This forum will discuss some of the concerns and questions we have about
the future of cataloging and metadata management. We will look at areas we
would like training in right now to prepare us for the future. The focus
will be on practical, hands-on training ideas that can be implemented in
our current environment of uncertainty.

Moderators

Karl Pettitt is the Technical Services Librarian at the David C. Shapiro
Memorial Law Library at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, IL. He
previously served as the Catalog Librarian at Wheaton College, IL.

April Grey is the Director of Library Collections, Discovery, and Access
Services at Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC. She received her M.L.S.
from the University at Buffalo. Previously she was the Catalog Librarian at
Adelphi University.

What Is an e-Forum?

An ALCTS e-forum provides an opportunity for librarians to discuss matters
of interest, led by a moderator, through the e-forum discussion list. The
e-forum discussion list works like an email listserv: register your email
address with the list, and then you will receive messages and communicate
with other participants through an email discussion. Most e-forums last two
to three days. Registration is necessary to participate, but it's free.

For information about upcoming e-forums, please visit
http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/e-forum

How to Register

You must register your email address to subscribe to or access an
electronic discussion list on ALA's Mailing List Service. Once you have
registered for one e-forum, you do not need to register again, unless you
choose to leave the list. Find instructions for subscribing and
unsubscribing online. (
http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/e-forum/sympa)

If you have any problems, please contact alcts-eforum-request at ala.org.

*Posted on behalf of the ALCTS Continuing Education Committee.*