[Eril-l] BrowZine

Swogger, Susan sswogger at email.unc.edu
Fri Sep 11 07:59:13 PDT 2015

I'd agree with the other statements - Third Iron is lovely to deal with; everyone you show BrowZine to personally is very interested by it; it's very hard to market without a direct introduction because it's so different from our other things; and our medical users use it more than our academic users.

I think that last is partially because the Health Sciences library subscribed to it for the campus and we have a core group of users who are REQUIRED to have tablets, but I also think we have a larger proportion of users who are more journal fixated. It's best for users who like to follow particular journals or who are inclined to read journal articles of their own volition and not just for course work - i.e., not your typical early undergraduate.

I'm also hopeful that BrowZine Web will increase usage (ours is solid but not awesome), but it IS an access tool - I don't think it should necessarily be evaluated in comparison to resources that are content. For us, the fact that it makes a mobile experience of our resources easier is important because so many of our users must be outside of our IP range much of the time. Our hospital is not on our IP, and many students must do clinical work away from campus. Browzine saves them from having to authenticate constantly and makes it easier to track a core group of journals.

If they have to be outside of wifi access for awhile, they can plan to download articles to read in advance, and some of them say they do. Our state includes some highly attractive mountainous areas, so people do go to places like that and like to read exciting articles about wound care or whatever without solid wifi availability. ;)

Susan Swogger, MLIS
Collections Development Librarian
Health Sciences Library
(919) 966-0777