[Eril-l] Register Now - ACRL New England Program > TERMS of Engagement: Managing Collections and Electronic Resources Lifecycles

Kim Maxwell kmaxwell at mit.edu
Mon Sep 28 14:39:24 PDT 2015

{Please excuse cross-postings}

*** REGISTER NOW ***

WHAT IS IT?

* A free, one-day program: TERMS of Engagement: Managing Collections and Electronic Resources Lifecycles

*  November 18, 2015 from 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM at the Sherrill Library at Lesley University, 89 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138

* A thought-provoking program with opportunities to network and share with colleagues.

* For additional program information visit: http://serig.acrlnec.org/content/programs.

REGISTER

Register for this free event here: http://nov2015ermig-cdig.eventbrite.com

Attendance is limited to 120 people. Past programs have filled very quickly, so be sure to register early to ensure a seat!

PROGRAM

9:30 - 10:00 -- Check-in and Continental Breakfast

10:00 - 10:10 -- Welcome and Opening Remarks

10:10-10:55 -- Text Mining Support: Are We There Yet?
Jen Ferguson, Northeastern University
Janet Morrow, Northeastern University
Amanda Rust, Northeastern University
Bob Boissy, Springer
Library support of text mining presents a range of logistical challenges from licensing to data management.  The panel will share recent text mining activities and invite attendees to contribute their own perspectives to arrive at common solutions to the emerging role of text mining support.

10:55 - 11:20 -- Using TERMS to Convert Print Standing Orders to Electronic Format
Amy Dittmann, Boston College
Terra Kallemeyn, Boston College
O’Neill Library has had a long history of converting print subscription content to electronic format.  Standing orders, however, had been left out of this process until we undertook a project for their conversion this year. We will discuss our motivations, working with our vendors, and our decision processes, as well reception and results of the project.

11:20 - 11:40 -- Break

11:40 - 12:15 -- Access Denied!
Julie Linden, Yale University
Sarah Tudesco, Yale University
Turnaway data – such as COUNTER reports of "access denied" – can inform collection development decisions, but are they always a true indication of your patrons' interests? We'll look at a variety of activities and situations that can result in "access denied" reports. We will dig into examples of turnaway data and provide the audience with a "turnaway data analysis checklist – what to ask before you buy." Finally, we will look at patrons' "access denied" encounters and document delivery requests to explore the role of other content fulfillment channels. We encourage audience members to come prepared to share their own turnaway experiences – both data and anecdotes.

12:15 - 12:55 -- Lightning Talks

Electronic Resources in Times of Fiscal Constraint: Investigations, Acquisitions and Renewals (Joseph Harzbecker, Boston University Medical Center)

Are Next-Gen Library Systems TERMS-compliant? Preliminary Thoughts for a Research Project (Emily Singley, Boston College)

Content Decision-Making: Flexibility Required (Patricia Berens, Babson College)

Moving Away From the Status Quo: Changing Database A-Z List Platforms (Anna Seiffert, Purdue University)

12:55 - 1:00 -- Closing Remarks

1:00 - 3:00 -- Optional dine-arounds for lunch (aka informal networking opportunities) in Harvard Square; sign-up sheets will be at the registration table.

This program is co-sponsored by ACRL New England's Collection Development and Electronic Resources Management Interest Groups. CDIG and ERMIG co-chairs coordinating this event are:

Martha Kelehan, Tufts University (CDIG), martha.kelehan at tufts.edu
Susan Raidy-Klein, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth (CDIG), sraidyklein at umassd.edu
Galadriel Chilton, University of Connecticut (ERMIG), galadriel.chilton at uconn.edu
Kim Maxwell, MIT (ERMIG), kmaxwell at mit.edu

Focusing on Collection Development and Electronic Resources Management, CDIG and ERMIG are special interest groups (SIGs) of the New England Chapter of the Association of College and Research Libraries (http://www.acrlnec.org/).