[Eril-l] google subscribed list

Rathmel, Angela aroads at ku.edu
Fri Sep 11 07:11:20 PDT 2015

Hello,

I recently heard about Google Subscribed Lists, a feature similar I guess to filters for a library database, that allows a user to selected key sources when doing a search so those results filter to the top.

I only recently became aware of it through a notice that publisher will begin using it, so that users can see results for which they have a subscription entitlement through their library (based, I think, on IP).  This is made possible by the publisher providing Google with libraries subscription information.

This apparently has been a Google feature since 2014, but I can't really find much authoritative information about it to figure out how it works.

Can someone tell me more about this.  What "subscription information" is provided to Google.  How does Google use the libraries "subscription information" to make this work?   Is this better for driving usage (as one particular publisher claims), because it will enable the counting searches, not just full text hits that may come from Google?  If so, won't it rather skew usage in some respect?

Other thoughts, experience?

Much appreciated!
-Angie

Angela Rathmel, Head of Acquisitions & Resource Sharing
University of Kansas Libraries
aroads at ku.edu<mailto:aroads at ku.edu>  | atruthbrarian at gmail.com<mailto:atruthbrarian at gmail.com>
785/864-8834 (w) | 785/218-3881 (cell)

St. Silouan the Athonite, on printing this email:
'That green leaf on the tree which you needlessly plucked - it was not wrong, only rather a pity for the little leaf.'