[Eril-l] FOLLOW UP: Database cost per use statistics

Sweeney, Maurine masweene at UTMB.EDU
Thu Oct 22 08:07:21 PDT 2015

For our major packages, over $5/download is troublesome; either we need to do more work to promote (contact specific faculty/departments), start looking at other configurations of the package (perhaps a customized package or smaller one), explore other products that might meet a similar need, or try to work with the vendor on price increases.  The cost per use is just one element of a much larger picture.  Also, when we look at CPU across packages, there is usually a cluster of cpu amounts across packages and, in comparison, it's fairly obvious where the cpu jumps.  For us (an academic health science center), that cluster is around $3-$4/download.  It might be a different figure for others.  CPU for individual journals is another matter, especially when there are specific journals that support specific research at our institution.

-Maurine

Maurine Sweeney
Head of Technical Services
Moody Medical Library/Academic Resources

University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd., Galveston, TX 77555-1035
P 409.772.2394 F 409.762.9782
E masweene at utmb.edu<mailto:masweene at utmb.edu>

[UTMB_Health_tag_PMS_rgb.png]

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Brown, Clara (DCPL)
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 8:22 AM
To: Sheldon, Karen; eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] FOLLOW UP: Database cost per use statistics

So here is my questin, what does that mean?  Do you have a limit for how much you are willing to spend?  Do the more expensive one support important programs etc..

Clara Brown
Electronic and Digital Resources Librarian, DC Public Library
901 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001
Tel. 202-727-3772
clara.ruttenberg at dc.gov<mailto:clara.ruttenberg at dc.gov>