[Eril-l] Building upon Susan Swogger’s observation, librarians need to achieve equity/fairness across the disciplinary spectrum. Given the extreme variances in cost, use, and potential audience, UNC has created a prioritization model that standardizes for th...

Swindler, Luke luke_swindler at unc.edu
Tue Oct 6 16:26:26 PDT 2015

Building upon Susan Swogger’s observation, librarians need to achieve equity/fairness across the disciplinary spectrum.

Given the extreme variances in cost, use, and potential audience, UNC has created a prioritization model that standardizes for these various factors and allows it evaluate all databases in tandem via the use of the following absolute scale:

  *   • Priority 1 = Essential (must have): a core resource integral to supporting a program and so necessary that the library needs to fund it if at all possible; the expectation is that the resource will get high use or at least heavy and on-going use among its primary audience
  *   • Priority 2 = Important (should have): a major resource for a program; the expectation is that the resource will get substantial and on-going use among at least its primary audience
  *   • Priority 3 = Useful (could have): a significant resource for a program; the expectation is that the resource will get appreciable use among its primary audience
  *   • Priority 4 = Marginal (would have if funds permit): directly relevant to supporting a field within a program; the expectation is that the resource gets at least occasional use of from it specialized audience

This methodology also has the advantage of being relevant to any size library.

Luke Swindler