[Eril-l] KB discrepancies

Daniel Peterson dcpcreations at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 10:53:58 PDT 2015

I'm not sure how SFX and OCLC KBs work, but issues I can think of to take
into account are:
1. Do the title lists include only full text content, or full text and A&I
titles
2. If full text only, how comprehensive does that full text need to be
("selected full text" titles cause confusion with link resolvers)
3. How are journal title changes tracked? Single entry for all title
versions, or separate for each title/ISSN variant?
4. Conference proceedings and monographic serials can be a mess

Daniel

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Steve Oberg <steve.oberg at wheaton.edu>
wrote:

> I'm managing SFX as well as the OCLC WMS KB. I don't intend to open the
> can of worms of: why have more than one? So...If you are in a similar
> situation to mine, and have insights about the following common scenario,
> I'd love to hear your perspective.
>

> KB #1 has a particular collection. KB #2 has the same collection. Yet the
> number of individual titles within each varies wildly. Here's a specific
> example: SFX has a target for EBSCOHOST_PSYCBOOKS that has 2,183
> portfolios. The same thing in OCLC WMS KB (called a collection, with
> title, EBSCOhost PsycBOOKS) has 4,021 titles in it.
>

> If the source for each KB is a vendor feed of some sort, isn't it logical
> to expect the numbers to be somewhat close? But they frequently aren't. I'm
> not sure there is a ready solution to the problem but I'm wanting to at
> least have a better grasp of the possible reasons for these discrepancies.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Steve

Daniel Peterson
dcpcreations at gmail.com