[Eril-l] Database cost per use statistics

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Tue Oct 6 10:43:52 PDT 2015

Scale (as in economies of...) is everything. What is your undergrad and
grad FTE?
You probably shouldn't compare your cost/FTE to an institution that has
50,000 undergrads if you have only 2,000.

Also if you have a professional consortium negotiating your prices, that
can very well affect your price and thus your cost/fte.
We generally have MUCH better costs/FTE for products with consortial deals
than those without.

That said, we're a public university with a total FTE of just under 4,000,
a few hundred of which is graduate level, mostly education, nursing, and
business.
If we're comparable to you, contact me directly, and I'd be happy to share
at least some of those stats.

--
Melissa Belvadi
User Experience & Collections Librarian

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Thomas, Karen <Karen.Thomas at delval.edu>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I’m fairly new as an electronic librarian and have been asked by my VPPA
> and director to show cost per search/download for our databases. That I was
> able to accomplish well enough but I was hoping to have some data to
> provide a benchmark. Is anyone willing to share their cost per
> search/download or is able to direct me to some useful information?
>

> I’m particularly interested in:
>
> Access Science
>
> BioOne Combination
>
> CQ Researcher
>
> Academic Search Complete
>
> Business Source
>
> Communication & Mass Media Complete
>
> Education Source
>
> Food Science Source
>
> Gale Virtual Reference Library
>
> Opposing Viewpoints
>
> JStor
>
> Lexis-Nexis Academic
>
> ABI/Inform Research
>
> Agriculture Journals
>
> Criminal Justice
>
> ScienceDirect
>
> SciFinder Scholar
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> *Karen Sheldon*
>
> Electronic and Instructional Services Librarian
>
> Delaware Valley University
>
> 700 East Butler Ave., Doylestown PA 18901
>
> 215.489.4968 | karen.thomas at delval.edu

Melissa Belvadi