[Eril-l] Tracking the Title Stability of Subscription eBook Collections

Denise Koufogiannakis denise.koufogiannakis at ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 5 08:07:03 PST 2015

This study in the current issue of College & Research Libraries should be
helpful:
http://crl.acrl.org/content/76/7/883.abstract

Denise

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 8:54 AM, James Buczynski <jamesbuczynski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I was wondering if libraries track subscription eBook collections from a
> "title stability" perspective.
>
> Usage data is great and all but if large eBook collections are dropping a
> large number of titles on an annual basis, that inevitably increases the
> odds of disrupting the teaching practices of faculty and the odds of end
> users clicking on links to eBooks that are no longer available (as there
> are always delays to updating metadata).
>
> Besides the batch MARC loads of “adds and deletes”, is anyone tracking
> changes in title drop scale/magnitude, specific publishers pulling their
> content, subject areas impacted, etc., BY PRODUCT and even aggregating the
> findings to inform local collection development strategy?
>
> I have concerns about increasing title instability in subscribed eBook
> collections based on building anecdotal evidence. Obtaining the firm
> evidence is going to take new work, so I’m wondering if others do it –
> collect the data and analyze it to draw conclusions and inform renewal
> decision-making and even possibly new license decision making.
>
> *I’m not looking for rants about specific vendors or products, please
> refrain from going there.*
>

> If you do this kind of data collection and analysis, please tell me about
> it.
>

> Thank you,
>
> James
>

> James A. Buczynski
>
> Information Resources Librarian: Health, Community Services & Education;
>
> Seneca Libraries’ Collection Coordinator
>
> Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
>
> King Campus, Garriock Hall
>
> 13990 Dufferin Street, King City, Ontario, L7B 1B3
>
> Ph: 416.491.5050x55197
>
> Fax: 905.833.1106
>
> Email: james.buczynski at senecacollege.ca

Denise Koufogiannakis, MLIS, PhD | Collections & Acquisitions Coordinator |
University of Alberta Libraries | 5-25Q Cameron Library | Edmonton, AB T6G
2J8 | Tel. 780-492-5331 | denise.koufogiannakis at ualberta.ca
https://sites.google.com/a/ualberta.ca/dkoufogi/