[Eril-l] Tracking the Title Stability of Subscription eBook Collections

James Buczynski jamesbuczynski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 07:54:04 PST 2015

Good Morning,

I was wondering if libraries track subscription eBook collections from a
"title stability" perspective.

Usage data is great and all but if large eBook collections are dropping a
large number of titles on an annual basis, that inevitably increases the
odds of disrupting the teaching practices of faculty and the odds of end
users clicking on links to eBooks that are no longer available (as there
are always delays to updating metadata).

Besides the batch MARC loads of “adds and deletes”, is anyone tracking
changes in title drop scale/magnitude, specific publishers pulling their
content, subject areas impacted, etc., BY PRODUCT and even aggregating the
findings to inform local collection development strategy?

I have concerns about increasing title instability in subscribed eBook
collections based on building anecdotal evidence. Obtaining the firm
evidence is going to take new work, so I’m wondering if others do it –
collect the data and analyze it to draw conclusions and inform renewal
decision-making and even possibly new license decision making.

*I’m not looking for rants about specific vendors or products, please
refrain from going there.*

If you do this kind of data collection and analysis, please tell me about
it.

Thank you,

James

James A. Buczynski

Information Resources Librarian: Health, Community Services & Education;

Seneca Libraries’ Collection Coordinator

Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology

King Campus, Garriock Hall

13990 Dufferin Street, King City, Ontario, L7B 1B3

Ph: 416.491.5050x55197

Fax: 905.833.1106

Email: james.buczynski at senecacollege.ca