[Eril-l] Is Breaking Up THAT Hard to Do?

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Mon Nov 9 11:03:47 PST 2015

To add a bit more to my previous response, and also in response to more recent comments regarding use of ILL data….

One of the things I’ve done is a preliminary literature review on the topic of PPV and one of the articles I found interesting was the following one:

Hanson, Michael, and Terese Heidenwolf. 2010. “Making the Right Choices: Pay-per-View Use Data and Selection Decisions.”
College & Research Libraries News 71 (11): 586–88.

The authors began their exploration of PPV with the assumption that their serials collection development was strong. This was based on careful evaluation of subscriptions and faculty involvement in decision-making year-to-year, along with a thorough examination of ILL data. Their results, however, led them to question their initial assumptions, including the validity or relevance of ILL data.

This was written five years ago and perhaps longitudinal data will be more enlightening. But as I mentioned, I found their institution’s experience to be interesting.

The downloadable PowerPoint of the session to which I referred at The Charleston Conference will eventually be linked from the conference schedule, but you can get it here if you’re interested: http://librarylink.wheaton.edu/chs15

Steve

Steve Oberg<http://www.wheaton.edu/Academics/Faculty/O/Steve-Oberg>
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials