[Eril-l] Is Breaking Up THAT Hard to Do?

Bulock, Christopher J christopher.bulock at csun.edu
Mon Nov 9 10:41:39 PST 2015

For 2015, the CSU system dropped its consortial Wiley big deal, so all 23 campuses were left to figure it out on their own. We carefully reviewed our usage and list prices to see what would make the most sense. We treated it as kind of an experimental year. So we took a close look at COUNTER JR5 (usage by year of publication) reports to see which titles would not be well served by our existing perpetual access. Based on that analysis, we went with subscriptions to just a handful of titles. Now, we’re looking at ILL stats (much lower than expected for cancelled titles) and turnaways to see if we need to switch up our subscriptions. While faculty and grad students certainly do make use of this content, I suspect a large percentage of our usage of the big deals comes from undergrads who do not necessarily have to do exhaustive research. That explains why we might see moderate usage for a title while we have a subscription but then have 0 ILL requests after we cancel.

Chris Bulock
Electronic Resources Librarian
California State University Northridge
818-677-6302