[Eril-l] browzine thoughts?

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at wheaton.edu
Thu May 14 09:44:16 PDT 2015

We renewed our subscription to the “regular” BrowZine just a few weeks ago; it was a new subscription for us last year. We decided to also subscribe to BrowZine web, an add-on product, in hopes that it will broaden the service’s appeal and accessibility to our users.

Our stats thus far sound like yours — not great. However, whenever we talk about or demo it, the response is quite positive. I’m not sure why that is not (yet) translating into higher numbers. It may be due to some or all of the following factors (these are purely my own opinion):

  *   It’s still a relatively new thing and our community can be slow to adopt new technologies and services
  *   I’m not sure the service will ever broadly appeal to undergrads and we are a predominantly undergrad institution
  *   Existing habits of faculty and perhaps grad students for keeping current in subject areas is probably deeply ingrained
  *   We need to take every opportunity to promote the service, and to show our users how to use it

In sum, I think it is a great service, a great idea, but it will take some time to really get traction among our users. We hope the web version will help.

Steve

Steve Oberg<http://www.wheaton.edu/Academics/Faculty/O/Steve-Oberg>
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials