[Eril-l] Electronic resources claiming (dates of actual access) best practices.

Sweeney, Maurine masweene at UTMB.EDU
Wed Jul 22 13:28:35 PDT 2015

We go off of what the license or vendor spreadsheet says when customizing our e-resources holdings dates.  With each renewal cycle we manually check access for the earliest licensed date and the latest.  If we are able to access additional material outside of our licensed dates, we do not include that information in the catalog since we do not legally have an agreement for that material.  I have seen mention of a service called Callisto on this listerv that automatically checks e-resources access but I haven’t used it.

-Maurine

Maurine Sweeney
Head of Technical Services
Moody Medical Library/Academic Resources

University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd., Galveston, TX 77555-1035
P 409.772.2394 F 409.762.9782
E masweene at utmb.edu<mailto:masweene at utmb.edu>

[UTMB_Health_tag_PMS_rgb.png]

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Michael Lampley
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:44 PM
To: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: [Eril-l] Electronic resources claiming (dates of actual access) best practices.

I know this topic is like discussing the finer points of cat herding – while bareback riding a squirrel - but I still need to go there.

I’ve not had much luck in searching the available literature on the topic of electronic claiming and would like the community’s input.  I want to be clear that when I say “claiming” I mean finding a way to make the holding statements for my e-resources in my catalog match up with what the vendors say I have along with the actual range of electronic access that I am actually getting. I’m assuming more or less a one to one relationship between any given title and the payment meaning we don’t check holdings for individual titles in databases.

When we last discussed this the state of affairs boiled down to these elements. We run a list of e-journals. We get someone to click on the link and see if we have access. We check the oldest and newest issue for article level access. We move on to the next title. Is that pretty much where we still are or is there some app that can help us out all the way down to the article level?

I am interested in how you identify items for claiming but I am at least, if not more, interested in whether or not you actually claim at all. Is it worth the effort?

Many thanks for your consideration.

Thanks

Michael Lampley
Electronic Serials Librarian