[Eril-l] Creating PDFs with DRM

Larrison, Stephanie A larrison at txstate.edu
Mon Dec 14 10:38:59 PST 2015

Hi Lisa,

~Stephanie

From: Eril-l [mailto:eril-l-bounces at lists.eril-l.org] On Behalf Of Melissa Belvadi
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 12:09 PM
To: Mackinder, Lisa
Cc: eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Subject: Re: [Eril-l] Creating PDFs with DRM

There is absolutely no way to provide access to a PDF AND disallow downloading, because the very way that web clients work is that content gets downloaded in the process of being delivered to the client.

We provide proxied PDF access using our Drupal web server.  That's actually where we have all of our e-reserves too.

Drupal is a free (as in kittens, not as in beer) open source web platform.  There are probably plugins for it that can be combined with an ezproxy server to deliver PDFs through a one-page-at-a-time embedded display.

Our own Islandora system can deliver TIFFs this way (which PDFs are easily converted to), and it's all free too, using Drupal and Fedora, but unless you have a serious systems team, that's probably too much work to set up for just a few documents.

Melissa