[Eril-l] Program Announcement: ALCTS Creative Solutions in Technical Services Interest Group Meeting @ ALA MW in Boston

Smith, Kelly Kelly.Smith2 at eku.edu
Fri Dec 11 05:08:08 PST 2015

*** Please excuse cross-posting ***

ALCTS Creative Solutions in Technical Services Interest Group (CITSIG) Meeting

Time: Sunday, January 10, 2016, 3:00-4:00 pm
Location: Boston Convention & Exhibition Center (BCEC), 102A
ALA Scheduler: http://bit.ly/1N8YIZx

Please join us for 8 roundtable discussions on a variety of topics. Choose the one that interests you most!

1. Trends in collection format and use

Facilitator: Amy Fry, Electronic Resources Coordinator, Bowling Green State University

Libraries are buying more ebooks and increasingly using DDA as a method of acquisition. However, studies indicate most library users prefer print and the data about ebook use is problematic and misleading. How can libraries approach collection development and management responsively and responsibly? Using all the formats and methods of acquisition for collections at our disposal, libraries need to find a way to build collections that will be in the right format at the right time for the right needs. What strategies for collecting and analyzing data will help us make the best decisions?

2. Merger mania: What is the fall out and what are the concerns?

Facilitator: Joe Badics, Acquisitions Librarian, Eastern Michigan University

Recent years have seen an increasing number of mergers and sales and a major vendor bankruptcy. How does this affect the way our institutions do business?

3. How can technical services staff use their skills to go beyond/work around "standard" systems to better serve their users' needs?
Facilitator: Betty Landesman, Head of Technical Services and Content Management, University of Baltimore

We're a long way from the brave new world of linked data, working in "the cloud", etc., but our users can't wait for that brave new world.  If our ILS/OPAC doesn't suffice to market new materials, or LCSH when we have specialized materials that have their own vocabularies [and LC's genre headings project doesn't include them], or if using ERM-type software like SFX is handled only by people in other departments, what CAN we do or change - even if it's a small thing - to go "outside the box"?

4. Metadata for institutional repositories: Who catalogs the digital library?
Facilitator: Ellen Bahr, Information Systems Librarian, Alfred University

The introduction of institutional repositories (and other digital asset management systems) has made metadata creation a more complex task. Libraries take a variety of approaches to creating metadata for digital collections, sometimes locating the work with a repository manager/staff, and sometimes involving catalogers and technical services staff. This roundtable will explore approaches to creating metadata for digital collections, at both small and large institutions, with a focus on effective workflows and staffing models.

5. Managing e-serials: Creating an interdependent workflow between multiple technical services department for large academic libraries
Facilitator: Ying Zhang, Interim Head of Acquisitions & Collection Services, University of Central Florida

This roundtable will discuss how electronic resources, collection services, cataloging and interlibrary loan collaborate in designing a workflow to manage the changes in e-serials. Departments in technical services are used to close collaboration in the print world. With the exponential growth in electronic resources and increasing use of discovery services, the workflow relies entirely on constant communication to ensure timely updates and seamless access in the catalog and discovery services. Not only do departments in technical services become codependent with each other, but they are also pushed closer to the public services.

6. Staff-led change in technical services
Facilitator: Jeanne Harrell, Interim Director of Collection Development Operations & Acquisitions Services, Texas A&M University

Libraries in general seem to be less "top-down" than they used to be.  Has this approach reached technical services yet?

7. Does location matter? Creating a user-centric technical services dept. in an off-site location
Facilitator: Christine Dulaney, Director of Technical Services, American University

As library space in the main library is considered at a premium for "student-facing" activities, space for non-student facing activities such as technical services departments are vulnerable to relocation to an off-site facility.  How can technical services demonstrate value as a student-facing activity?  How can technical services provide user-centric cataloging and access from an off-site location?  How can technical services prevent feeling detached from library users?

8. The Age of Enlightenment arrives in technical services
Facilitator: Laura Turner, Head of Technical Services, University of San Diego

Today's technical services librarian serves such roles in the academic library as workshop/classroom instructor, development officer, library administrator, exhibit creator, and faculty liaison.  This discussion will focus on the opportunities and challenges of thinking about ourselves first as librarians, then as professionals that work within our library's technical services department.

We are looking forward to seeing you there!

Kelly Smith
Chair 2015-16, Creative Ideas in Technical Services IG
Coordinator of Collections and Discovery
Eastern Kentucky University Libraries
kelly.smith2 at eku.edu<mailto:kelly.smith2 at eku.edu>

Amber Billey
Vice-Chair, 2015-16, Creative Ideas in Technical Services IG
Metadata Librarian, Original and Special Materials Cataloging
Columbia University Libraries
ab3167 at columbia.edu<mailto:ab3167 at columbia.edu>