[Eril-l] USMAI Announces Collection Development Strategy to Guide E-Resources Group Licensing

Charles Thomas cthomas at usmd.edu
Fri Apr 10 10:05:56 PDT 2015

April 10, 2015

The USMAI Library Consortium recently completed a new E-Resources Collection Development Strategy in support of its strategic goal to increase group licensing of electronic journals, databases, e-books, and other online resources. The new strategy document (available online at http://tinyurl.com/knqb2sw) provides a philosophical and operational framework to guide the selection and ongoing evaluation of scholarly e-resources that will be acquired and made available to all users of the consortium's sixteen libraries. Group licensing leverages the consortium's purchasing power and shared expertise to meet shared needs, reduce overall acquisition costs and minimize redundancy while simultaneously expanding and enhancing access to intellectual resources for all USMAI constituents. The new Collection Development succinctly lays out a guiding philosophy and principles, explains related objectives and assumptions, and establishes selection criteria for group-licensed resources.

The USMAI Library Consortium includes sixteen member libraries at the public universities and colleges in the State of Maryland. We provide unified, cost effective and creative approaches to acquiring, managing, and sharing information and knowledge resources. We support the shared mission of our member campuses to contribute to the intellectual and cultural growth of our students, faculty and staff. For more information see http://usmai.org.

Chuck Thomas
Executive Director, USMAI Library Consortium
Tel: 202-651-1921
Email: cthomas at usmd.edu
usmai.org