[Eril-l] looking for group wisdom on Patron Driven Acquisition: limiting by publisher

Swindler, Luke luke_swindler at unc.edu
Tue Dec 16 08:31:43 PST 2014

In my view questions about DDA publisher exclusions need to be related to the library’s goals for its DDA.

UNC Chapel Hill campus libraries implemented a Demand-Driven Acquisitions (DDA) e-books program in order to achieve the following goals:

  *   • Improve support for the academic enterprise by presenting faculty and students with a large number of potentially useful and relevant e-books for possible acquisition, with the aggregate number and cost of titles in the DDA being well beyond what campus libraries could ever afford to buy;
  *   • Align monographic acquisitions more closely with active instructional and research needs;
  *   • Target collections dollars to meet actual needs based on patron use, especially since studies consistently demonstrate that books selected by users have a higher level of use than those librarians select;
  *   • Get a better and broad-based sense of the patrons’ acceptance of e-books and their willingness to use them (backed with actual data), which advances UNC’s user-focused, evidence-based and metrically informed collections philosophy; and
  *   • Save subject librarians’ time selecting and technical services staff's time processing monographs, especially for publishers where few titles are automatically shipped and/or selected.

Within this context, coupled with the fact that reducing monographic expenditures per se was not a consideration, UNC opted for a robust DDA publisher pool with only a few exclusions:

  *   • Publisher was categorically objectionable because of quality and/or relevance; and
  *   • Publisher e-books were being acquired en bloc via packages rather than on a title-by-titles basis.

In addition, the level of publisher exclusions is influenced by vendor options for eliminating inappropriate specific titles from the DDA pool.  UNC decided to implement its DDA with only EBL as the content provider (because of the many options available in its LibCentral administrative module) and to do so via YBP (because of its many subject and non-subject parameter filter options) rather than directly with the content provider.  As a rule, the more robust the filtering options, the more expansive the DDA universe of relevant publishers can be.

Finally, publisher exclusions (as well as DDA profile complexity) should be influenced by the emphasis at library places on eliminating an occasional inappropriate title that might get into the DDA pool.  If the philosophy is based on “good-enough” solutions and keeping transactions costs low, then a minimal level of inappropriate DDA titles is fine—especially if they result in little use and/or low expenditures.  (N.B.  Here the perfect is the enemy of the good!)

Luke Swindler

Luke Swindler                               Collections Management Officer
Davis Library    CB #3918                        luke_swindler at unc.edu<mailto:luke_swindler at unc.edu>
University of North Carolina                           TEL (919-962-1095)
Chapel Hill, NC  27514   USA                        FAX (919-962-4450)
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change.” Charles Darwin