[Eril-l] NE- ASIST Data Visualization: How to Do It and Do It Well

Bonnie Tijerina bonnie.tijerina at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 14:34:38 PST 2014

Forwarded from Annie Erdmann, erdmann at simmons.edu

**********************************************************************************************************************

Data visualization is a hot topic for 2015! Hear from accomplished
speakers, and get hands-on experience in workshops at beginner,
intermediate, and advanced levels.

*WHEN*: January 15, 2015 ||| Thursday ||| 9 AM - 2:30 PM
*WHERE*: Simmons College in Boston
*HOW MUCH*: Registration $45 |||  NEASIST/SLA members $35 ||| students $15
*SO*: Register today
<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/data-visualization-how-to-do-it-and-do-it-well-tickets-14838896539>
!

*Data Visualization: How to Do It and Do It Well*

In our information-rich society, data is everywhere.  Big and little, data
shapes our lives from the policies we enact to the products we use to the
professions in which we engage. But how can we make sense of all that data
and, more importantly, how can we use it to share information effectively?
Discover how well-crafted data visualizations can make a powerful impact in
your professional work and learn the skills necessary to share your
insights through compelling visualizations.

The New England Chapter of the Association for Information Science &
Technology, together with the Simmons College Student Chapter, invites you
to join us at our 2015 Winter Event, Data Visualization: How to Do It and
Do It Well. A morning panel of speakers will share their insights,
experiences, and best practices for working with data visualizations.
Afternoon workshops will give you hands-on practice with a data
visualization software or program. These workshops are intended to help you
get up and running with data visualization.

Visit our event site
<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/data-visualization-how-to-do-it-and-do-it-well-tickets-14838896539>
 to see the topics to be discussed and the tools to be practiced, and check
out
the roster of speakers below!

*Speakers*
Andrew Ashton, Associate University Librarian for Digital Technologies --
Brown University Library
Mike Barry, Software Engineer -- Twitter
Brian Card, Software Engineer -- Viasat
Lynn Cherny, Information Visualization Consultant
Amy Deschenes, Systems & Web Applications Librarian -- Simmons College
Library
Rob Erdmann, Ph.D. Candidate in Biology -- MIT
Carolin Ferwerda, Instructional Technologist for GIS & Statistics --
Wellesley College
Patrick Rashleigh, Data Visualization Coordinator -- Brown University
Library