[Eril-l] [ERIL-L] Using Sharepoint for Document Storage

Paoshan Yue yue at unr.edu
Mon Dec 22 12:41:48 PST 2014

Hi all,

Our library has had SharePoint (SP) since 2008; so I thought I would some of my experience with SP here.

Our campus IT implemented SharePoint (SP) back in 2007 (or so) and our library was migrated to SP2007 in 2008, with the intention to use it as the library's intranet.  We were migrated again to SP2010 a couple years ago and are expecting another migration to SP2013.  The intention to use SP as library intranet has never been fully realized due to various reasons, of which one was that except for those who really spent time exploring and learning some of SP features (like Technical Services folks), others prefer other tools like WebCampus.

I agree with Steve that SharePoint (SP) is a complex beast and requires a significant learning curve, especially if you want to go beyond using it just as a storage space.  Our campus IT emphasizes that SP is a collaborative tool, not a storage tool.  My experience with SP has been that it is indeed clunky and not friendly to navigate.  Having said that, it may have much to offer depending on what you want to use it for.  For example, we found SharePoint’s Lists (SP List is a collection of data that you can share with team members and other site users) very useful for managing e-resources workflows.  (For more info, see “SharePoint lists as workflow trackers”, a blog entry by Wendy Robertson: http://wendycrobertson.com/2013/05/06/sharepoint-lists-workflow/)  We have used SP Lists to manage workflows for new, changed, & cancelled e-resources, and most recently, a comprehensive journal cancellation project.

However, we found SP wiki clunky and not very useful for our needs.  Also, managing permissions has been a challenge for us in the library.  It allows customizations at probably every level of the site structures/documents/folders.  It could go out of control in a large, multi-level SP site if consistent oversight and shared knowledge among all site owners is missing.

As for document storage --  To store copies of licenses, we chose the University NAS (Network Attached Storage) system over SharePoint because 1) we are convinced that SP is for collaboration and NAS is for storage; and 2) we had data migration problems when we were migrated from SP2007 to SP2010; we suspect that might happen at every SP migration in the foreseeable future.  We are a III Sierra site.  We just enter the NAS file paths in the License Location fields of license records … they are not live links, but they work for our needs.  We also voted for an III ERM enhancement to allow attaching files to license records.  I think that should be considered a basic function of many records types in an ILS system.

Happy Holidays!

Cheers,

Paoshan

Paoshan Yue
Head of Electronic Resources & Acquisition Services
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
University of Nevada, Reno
yue at unr.edu<mailto:yue at unr.edu> -- 775.682.5599