[Eril-l] looking for group wisdom on Patron Driven Acquisition: limiting by publisher

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Tue Dec 16 06:47:49 PST 2014

We only limited out a tiny handful of "predatory" publishers whose names
won't be mentioned here for fear of lawsuits, until last spring. Then, we
were informed that a few publishers, including one major scholarly
publisher who also won't be named, had significantly increased their "STL"
price as a percentage of the book price to a level that we considered
violates the entire point of STLs. So our response was to work with our PDA
profiles, YBP, to exclude those publishers, and with the PDA book vendors
to retroactively remove all of those publishers's ebooks from our existing
set.

I strongly believe that we as a community need to send a loud and clear
message to the publishers that if they engage in these practices that
undermine these wonderful new technologies, they will lose, not gain,
profit by doing so. They can hold us hostage to price increases in the
journal sector of the industry, but not on the books. Being included in our
PDA profiles should be considered by them a marketing privilege that we
offer their products only if they deserve it.

Melissa Belvadi, UPEI

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Mary Beeker <mbeeker at nmc.edu> wrote:

> Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask this question, please let me
> know if I should post elsewhere...
>
> Can anyone share their philosophy/advice on including publishers in their
> PDA collection?
> We've had some rude shocks seeing what is available in our new PDA
> collection.  We're wondering whether to exclude publishers from the entire
> PDA profile, or perhaps to include publishers in certain call number
> ranges, but not in others (e.g. our clinical nursing section)
>
> We're a community college, so we need some intro-level books, but
> reliability is key to us.
>
> If this becomes an interesting discussion, I'm happy to collect responses
> and share them.
>
> Thanks all!
> - Mary
>
> --
> Mary Beeker
> Northwestern Michigan College - Osterlin Library
> mbeeker at nmc.edu
> (231) 995-1015

Melissa Belvadi
Collections Librarian