[Eril-l] Online Exclusive Content v. Aggregator Content

Electronic Resources in Libraries discussion list eril-l at lists.eril-l.org
Fri Oct 25 09:08:23 PDT 2024

I did not see any responses to this, so thought I'd throw in my two cents on this topic.   We also are receiving "pressure" both from the vendors (most recently Atlantic) and faculty (trying to get to exclusive web content). ILL staff are also frustrated when they cannot fulfill requests for these articles.  For what it's worth, we are saying "no" to starting these subscriptions, particularly where there is large overlap with our other access for that publication.   We communicate our reasons to our faculty, and I tell the vendor reps our reasons as well:

We tell faculty the annual cost of a "web subscription" (thousands of dollars) and that it would gain access to very little content we don't already have

In some cases we had previously purchased and own the online archive/backfile, so that being 'thrown in' by the publisher is not a benefit for us.

We often already have access to formally packaged 'issues', including the latest packaged issue, in full-text databases (e.g., EBSCO databases).

We additionally often have access to much of the content through Nexis Uni.

I realize that these news publications are struggling, and they do good work, but our library cannot pay repeatedly for large amounts of overlapping content on different platforms.  And the quotes we are getting for web access at around $5,000/year for EACH of these newspapers/news magazine site licenses is not something we can afford.

Maybe if enough libraries say "no" and tell the vendor reps why, they will figure out some alternatives that might be mutually beneficial - e.g., a much lower subscription rate if library also has large content overlap through other means (owned or subscribed), or we might be willing to pay a reasonable amount for individual purchase of "exclusive" online articles to supply through ILL to our patrons.

Best, Theresa

Theresa Arndt
Dickinson College Library
arndtt at dickinson.edu